Our Spirit Horse program is unique to Stable Life. It combines a team that uses therapeutic recreation, peer support and counselling to achieve outcomes.
What are Equine-Assisted Programs?
Equine Assisted Programs are one of the most effective forms of experimental therapies. Spirit Horse uses interactive activities with horses in place of traditional sessions where you “talk” and a therapist “listens”. You might be familiar with other types of experiential therapies including: adventure and wilderness therapy, and expressive therapies that use art and music. People just like you are just choosing these services because they are able to get better results in a shorter amount of time than traditional services.
What can I expect?
Participants will be guided through various experiences with the horses which include:
- watching the dynamics of the horses and herd
- identifying relationships and dynamics in the herd
- entering the herd to catch a horse
- trust exercises with the horses
- learning to communicate with a horse
- experiencing how horses can show how to live better lives
- building symbolic obstacles to accomplish with the horse
- individual and/or group tasks with the herd
- symbolic painting on the horses
- having fun with the horses
Horses have an undeniable ability to bring about change in people; they mirror a situation and show us the best and worst of ourselves. Clients will build relationships with the horses that will allow for an open path of learning to help the client make changes for their recovery. A facilitator who is also an equine specialist is present during the sessions.
Spirit Horse can be useful in solving a wide variety of problems that affect people of all ages:
- Behavioral issues
- Attention Deficit Disorder
- Substance Abuse
- Eating disorders
- Abuse Issues
- Relationship issues
- Communication Problems
- Thought Disorders
- Operational Stress Disorder
How will I benefit?
Through specifically designed sessions, you will learn valuable skills such as:
- Non-Verbal Communication
- Creative thinking
- Problem solving
- Relationship building
- Confidence / Self-Esteem
- Positive Attitude